Press play, player haters. Show some respect. Jimmy’s been in his dingy dungeon, valiantly trying to put that crack pipe down. Maury and 7th Heaven reruns have profoundly changed him - He doesn’t want to stay perpetually high, no lie, and you should know this. He’s been focusing his lack of talent on cooking up a worthy follow-up to his monster smash ‘Ballin’. Will he succeed? Or will he continue to stay in the one hit wonder league alongside the esteemed likes of Tatu, Vanilla Ice, and Bobby McFerrin?
Here’s my two (x 4) cents on the video:
1) How does Jimmy jump on a Ron Browz track, and then release it as a ‘Jim Jones featuring Ron Browz’ exclusive? Hmm. Must be one of his many trend-setting tactics. Don’t sleep on it. On a related note, the next house party I get invited to, I’m gonna go welcome the host - "Make yourselves at home, folks"
2) Speaking of Ron Browz, the hook is not too shabby. It’s got an interesting ‘grown-man-trying-to-make a-drunk-bellydancer-anthem’ feel.
3) The video, on the other hand, is just a Ballin’ Remix knockoff, with champagne replacing dollar bills. Another sad reminder of how bad the economy is doing – Rappers can’t even afford fake cash.
4) Jim Jones is a stunningly bad rapper. We all know this, but hearing his verse on this joint, will make you look around the room and say it out loud. You will then pause, shake your head, roll your eyes and emphatically yell: “Seriously”
5) I know this is a really lazy, predictable cheapshot, but Jimmy’s hygiene is seriously on-route to becoming a documentary on the Discovery Channel (Voiceover: we know see Jimmy in his natural habitat. Watch closely as he proceeds to lick himself thoroughly to ward off predators). I mean, how does this man (even when cloaked in the brightest of brand names, in the most luxurious of locales) always manage to look like he needs a scrub-a-dub-dub? That ain’t a beard homey, that’s just dust mites. Forget Dame Dash, Jimmy needs to pal around w/ Bubble Bath. How ‘bout some swag splash with soap, son?
6) Why are Juelz’s eyes bulging so far out his out skull (gang?), @ the beginning of his verse? For someone who’s commanding girls to get naked, he sure doesn’t seem very excited about his prospects. Alarmed, maybe. It’s a frightened, getmeouttahere glare. I'm talking about a ‘nuh-uh-nana-don’t-make me-visit-grandada-again-he-likes-to-play-touch-touch-with-my-peepee’ glare. You get the feeling that he just realized that he was in a Jim Jones video.
7) Even the slowest of the slow understand the phallic symbolism behind popping champagne. You might not approve of hyper masculine rappers pouring a bottle’s overflowing contents all over scantily-clad women, but at least you get where they’re coming from, right? However, this video, in a surprising twist, is filled w/ dudes jizzing champagne all over themselves and each other (In ‘tight wet t-shirts,’ as Dallas pointed out) As for the finer details of this flamboyant fuckery - 1.36 secs into the video, you can catch Jones authoritatively spilling his champagne, and his boy cupping his hands in a desperate attempt to lap up every last drop of the golden shower. It’s basically like a homoerotic take on cheerleaders getting crunk in a carwash.
This display coupled w/ Juelz’s penchant for cascading silk scarves is clearly a blatant retort to critics who continue to associate rap with homophobia. Prop 8 just got passed in California and this is probably Jones & Co.’s way of protesting it.
8) I was expecting a ton of celebrity cameos, but all I got was Jimmy, Juelz, Mike Epps, and Busta Rhymes. Ladies and Gentlemen, ‘Swagga Like Us- The Recession Edition'
I’m sure there is much that I’ve failed to appreciate, but that is all for now. Pick up the slack for me, won’t you please?