Wednesday, November 26, 2008

P.I.F.F - Bangladesh Anthology

Coolio called

Bangladesh Crawford – Anthology

One of my compadres just sent me the above link – It’s a fairly comprehensive compilation of record producer Bangladesh’s work. Wait before you click download, damnit. *slaps your wrist* Let us say grace first, childrens. Praise be to our internet cable provider. Amen. K, go ahead now.

The very first time I paid attention to Bangladesh’s production was when
Kelis’ ‘Bossy’ came out – The track fared reasonably well on the charts as you may recall, but it didn’t quite blow the fuck up into crossover consciousness. Surprising, since it has ‘Umbrella’-level, stadium status written all over it. Sidenote: On the gossip & controversy tip (Excuse me while I get my Mary Hart on) - A really interesting tidbit about ‘Bossy’ that wasn’t addressed anywhere (as far as I know ) was how this song seemed like Kelis’ rebuttal to 50 Cent’s “Piggy Bank”; a diss track that included a blatant dart thrown at Nas’ way. In case you've forgotten, Piggy Bank included the LOLarious lines: “Kelis said her milkshake brings all the boys to the yard/Then Nas went and tattooed the bitch on his arm.” Well, Bossy’s defiant chorus goes like this: “That’s right, I brought all the boys to the yard/ And that’s right, I’m the one that’s tattooed on his arm / I’m bossy / I’m the bitch you love to hate / I’m the chick that’s raised the stakes” Are you gonna pretend like this is all a coincidence?? Umm, ring, ring HELLOOOOO friend-o? Why was this never a topic of discussion? Had Jive been enterprising enough to sell this retaliation angle, her album may have moved a few more units. Maybe Kelis would still be here. Making records, as opposed to designing high heels with Ashanti.

Anyways, despite loving 'Bossy', I didn’t bother digging any further into Bangladesh’s catalogue, coz frankly I didn’t think he had one - for some strange reason I assumed he was this new kid on the block who just hit it big, right from the get go. So every few months after Bossy, when the next Bangladesh sleeper-single dropped on blogs, I actually assumed I was in the loop on his output. Then ‘
A Millie’ inexplicably exploded on the scene like a ch-ch-ch-chopper (notably without the Almighty Power of Allah). With this newfound exposure (i.e industry buzz & a fan base that, at the very least, includes your Sister, Brother, Son, Daughter, Father and a motherfucking copper), I’m assuming his star’s gonna shine brighter in the near future.

Hey, remember how I mentioned having this silly idea that Bangladesh was just getting his industry feet wet with ‘Bossy’? Well, this anthology puts my dumbass assumptions to shame. Like, did you know he produced a whole bunch of joints on 8Ball & MJG’s Living Legends album? That he has production credits on Ludacris’ first two albums, including ‘What’s your Fantasy’??? Well I didn’t. In my defense though, I am semi-retarded.

Regardless, for the bored and curious, this be that P.I.F.F. As in, Pay It Forward, Foo’

P.S About naming this segment, Pay It Forward, Foo’ – I’m merely taking back what’s mine. You know the main social experiment premise of the movie,
Pay it Forward ? Well I had that idea first – I actually publicly discussed a variation of it during an elocution competition in Grade 7. Despite the fact that my speech was clearly ahead of its time, I only won 3rd place. (I believe the judges discriminated against me because I was semi-retarded. Also, what the heck, I’ll accuse them of racism too. And molesting me) Grrrrr. I try to close my eyes and forgive Haley Joel Osment for usurping my limelight, but all I see is dead people.

No comments: