Saturday, January 31, 2009

Single, Please Mingle: Nipsey Hussle's 'Hussle in the House'



If you still haven't heard this, its obviously because you have issues with the name Nipsey Hussle. Me tooo, dude! It sounds like something related to a nipple slip, doesn't it? I mean, what kind of hustle is built on nipple slips, I ask? What kind of dough does a nippleslip-based hustle garner? With that cute a name, is he allowed to hustle outside Sesame Street? So many questions, so little time. I wish dude would just clarify the origins of his name. Etymology ain't my forte, holmes.

But then this tracks knocks, and all is forgiven. At the start of the song, I believe dude raps that "I'm turned up, coz I grew up in the 60s." Huh? WE DONT BELIEEEEVE YOUUUU, YOU NEEED MORE WRINKLES! Is he gonna pretend like he's the West Cost Benjamin Button? Btw, did you notice that Snoop Dogg shows up for a brief second at the end of the video? Probably to collect royalties for Nipsey's lanky South Central swag. Its sooo cold in the LBC, vato.

Speaking of the video, it is apparently directed by DantheMan. Is he like the new Rik Cordero? Must be on the come-up, coz I've been seeing his name
a lot lately. Remember all those Prodigy videos? Those Termanology videos ? That Maino video? Who is this DantheMan anyway? If you merely answer with "he is the man," I may mercilessly lash you with my Pull 'n Peel Twizzler knots.

Regardless, the track bangs. Do you smell a G-funk resurgence? No? That must be the grimy aroma of my armpits then. Mean mugging at my computer screen takes a lot out of me.

4 comments:

Jordan said...

The name Nipsey Hussle is a reference to the actor Nipsey Russell, who played the Tin Man in The Wiz, among other roles. Why he chose him, I have no idea, I'd rather listen to Bertrand Hussle.

Jay (d)eff Kay said...

I'd be so down with a Bertrand Hussle. I bet he'd be a Wu Tang affiliate, spitting that hot supreme mathematics.

But yeah, didn't have a clue about Nipsey Russell, until you pointed it out. Tin man, no heart, I guess I see the point. However, I still think Nipsey is an excessively kindergarten-cute name for a gangster rapper.

Jordan said...

I guess I'm not as original as I thought.
http://bertrandhustle.blogspot.com/

Jay (d)eff Kay said...

Aww shucks dude,

Hustle Crow's taken too:
http://www.hustlecrow.com/main/

As is Hustle Simmons
http://www.myspace.com/hustlesimmonsmusic

Fuck, even Kurt Hustle's taken:
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Kurt+Hustle

Is there no famous Russell whose name remains untainted?

I found a one Mr "Russell A. Hulse" who apparently won the 1993Nobel Prize for physics, but Hustle A. Hulse seems like a bit of a tongue twister.