Sunday, February 15, 2009

Single, Please Mingle: Rhymefest feat. ODB 'Build Me Up'


Ol' Dirty Bastard - Obviously a source of inspiration around here


Belated Valentine's Day Edition. Sorry I'm late, but I was literally too busy eating cake yesterday (Holler at me, Marie Antoinette)

This is from Rhymefest's '06 debut "Blue Collar.' Okkk, I have heard good things about Rhymefest, but I do not particularly care about his body of work at this moment in time. I haven't heard Blue Collar or that Man In The Mirror mixtape that had some nice blog buzz going. Maybe I'll visit all these the next time he releases something brandnewbrandnewbrandnew. But for now, I'm about to lean back.

Rhymefest is a competent lyricist and the verses on the song aren't bad at all, but Jesus walks....towards the chorus. This song's lovely chorus is dedicated to... this song's lovely chorus.

And to ODB, who I obviously love. Fuck a pause.

4 comments:

Jordan said...

I like Rhymefest, but yeah, you're right. For more "ridiculous ODB chorus totally sons blog-hyped rapper" greatness, there's Slum Village's "Dirty."

Jay (d)eff Kay said...

I gotta check that out.

Believe it or not, I haven't bothered with any Slum V record post-Fantastic Vol. 2. I'm curious as to how sharp Elzhi was back then, but not thaat curious yknow? but yes an ODB feature on the record is definitely worth a download.

Jordan said...

If I may quote, "Girl if you're flexible, intellectual, bisexual, can I get next to you? If you're flexible, then, we can keep it dirty and sexual. If your man fuck, then we gotta knock the nigga out, smack the nigga up, stomp the nigga out, clap clap the nigga up!"

The whole album is pretty good, but that's the clear highlight.

Jay (d)eff Kay said...

"Girl if you're flexible, intellectual, bisexual, can I get next to you? If you're flexible, then, we can keep it dirty and sexual. If your man fuck, then we gotta knock the nigga out, smack the nigga up, stomp the nigga out, clap clap the nigga up!"

SOLD.