Friday, April 3, 2009

Single, Please Mingle: Young Dro 'Dro Rock Diamonds'




Holy Mother of an extra yummy McFlurry! Look at what we have here. A Young Dro track that’s laced with a Biggie vocal sample off of (wait for it)... 'Kick in the Door'. Dudes, motherfucking Kick In The Door!

Did I ever tell you about how, during a brief phase in my teens, I used to side with Pac & the West Coast during the whole East Coast-West Coast feud? I was living in hardcore denial about this Biggie character. Death Row, all day, everyday yknow? Plus it was way cooler to twist my fingers into a west coast knot and yell “West-sah-yeeed” than it was to rep the east cost (aka show off the number three). Well, do you know how friggin ashamed I felt the first time I heard Biggie drop: "Lyrically, I'm worshipped / don't front, the word's sick / You cursed it, but rehearsed it." Do you? You couldn't possibly fathom my shame, broseph. Ugh. No effin way, Jose. The most fatal kind of disses are the ones that consist of the truth. And Kick In The Door was an ouch of a lifetime. But I digress.

Speaking of dropping unexpectedly like birdshit: Right at the heels of the fierce uppercut that was 'Clean With It', Dro decides to strike us square on our mugs with this sharp jab of a track. Though his flow doesn't disappoint here, I think Fury's production takes the cake on this one. Protect your neck partypeople, this beat's got some serious swing.

How ridiculously exciting is the feeling that this could just be the tip of the iceberg that is P.O.L.O/ The Young and the Restless? That Dro is just circling around us, waiting for the right time to unleash a knockout?

Jeeeesus Christ, have mercy.

P.S Track was spotted over at The Smoking Section
P.P.S I totally understand if you accuse Swangerrr of merely being a Young Dro fan site masquerading as a retarded blog of sorts. I can live with that.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Dro's got a case of mumble mouth worse than Gucci Mane's. I can only understand like 30% of the punchlines here, but I caught something about "estrogen" and calling "Indian red" diamonds "Cherokees."

I think, like current Rocafella, Grand Hustle is incapable of releasing an album that isn't by it's label owner/biggest star. Maybe I'm wrong.

Jay (d)eff Kay said...

"Dro's got a case of mumble mouth worse than Gucci Mane's."

That mumble is a stylistic device isn't it? I'm guessing its a popular streetspeak style that rappers are absorbing into their rhymes. I mean Young Dro, and Gucci to a lesser extent, have a sizeable amount of tracks where they enunciate pretty clearly. So its obviously not a case of where they sound lazy, its a case where they're actively choosing to do something with that lazy-sounding flow. You can be creative with it. I think its an interesting that rappers like himself are just diving further into insular influences like the mumble - Its strengthening their association with the streets and the environment around them and arguably alienating them from the mainstream. Its like the opposite of when rappers like Jigga or Kanye slow their flow down so that they can craft chant-along stadium anthems.

I personally noticed the mumble coming to the forefront of his flow since 'I am Legend'. I can appreciate it really, but as far as Dro goes, he's a fun lyricist so yeah I could do without it too.

"I think, like current Rocafella, Grand Hustle is incapable of releasing an album that isn't by it's label owner/biggest star. Maybe I'm wrong."

Are you talking abt the talent pool, or the inability of the label to sell their artists well? Coz the talent's certainly there. Dro in particular. Killer Mike's on there now too apparently.

Daniel said...

I don't mean the talent pool, I mean the lack of promotion for artists who aren't the label owner.

It's a strange stylistic device, if it is one. I think only singers can afford to obscure their words because the melody can still shine through. I guess you could see it as forcing the listener to listen closer to the words, which is never a bad thing, but a bit of a risk.

Jay (d)eff Kay said...

I don't mean the talent pool, I mean the lack of promotion for artists who aren't the label owner.

I hear you. I feel weird saying this but at this point Rocafella's done a better job than Grand Hustle. I mean atleast we got something from beans, freeway, state property, diplomats among others.

Hopefully with T.I serving his sentence, Grand Hustle turns towards its other artists to keep its name afloat. And Dro clearly seems to have the best shot.