Sunday, May 31, 2009

Anal-ytical Appreciation: Jazmine Sullivan "Lions, Tigers & Bears"



So this reminds me a lot of that Anal-ytical Appreciation post on Solange that I posted a month ago i.e It's a video that's been on regular rotation in the BET Now cycle. It's a song that I really like. The song and accompanying video seem to be doing everything right. Jazmine Sullivan's cute. But then the lyrics of the chorus hits you.

Here's the whole chorus in case you think I'm taking shit out of context:

"I'm not scared of lions and tigers and bears (Oh my!)
But I'm scared of (loving you)
I'm not scared to perform at a sold out affair (that's right)
But I'm scared of (loving you)
Am I the only one who thinks it's an impossible task?
Why it don't last? Is that too much to ask?
Why do we love Love, When Love seems to hate us?"


Ok, so I'm not totally daft. I get it. She's trying to communicate the trepidation and fear involved in loving someone without reserve. She's pondering about commitment and the fear of loss. The fear of dependence and putting your heart completely out there. Yada yada yada.

But wowowowow. Hold the fuck up. Did Ms Sullivan just say that she wasn't scared of lions and tigers and bears? Oh my indeed. How the fuck are you not scared of lions AND tigers AND bears? Heck, I'm shitting my pants at the thought of encountering a lion, a tiger and a bear. And I'm not talk about a slight stain on my drawls. I'm talking about heavy fecal downpour. I'm talking about shit heavily encompassing my boxers and then slowly dripping down through my pant legs into my socks and shoes. Hell, some shit slips by the hem of my pants and onto the floor. It's not pretty.

Point being: I'm scared @ the thought of dealing with a lion, a tiger, and a bear. So it really irks me that this Sullivan chick decided to take her gangsta posturing a step further. She takes it into plural territory. Like goddamn. She's not scared of lions AND tigers AND bears. Arrrrrghhh.

Am I a big pussy? Or does Ms Sullivan need more people?

P.S Random Bonus footage for all you asswipes that are not scared of lions and tigers and bears.

No comments: