Monday, June 1, 2009

Fossil Fuel: Lil Scrappy "No Problem"



So since everyone’s having a laugh at Lil Scrappy’s extremely NSFW attempt at getting back in the limelight, I thought I’d post a throwback to ‘04, back when he was known for his music. 'No Problem' was a highlight off the solid “The King of Crunk & BME Recordings Present: Lil Scrappy & Trillville” album, a debut of sorts for both Lil Scrappy and Trillville, if I’m not mistaken. With Lil Jon’s production expanding its reach and stomping its signature all across radio waves, crunk was alive and thriving back then. Good times, no?

This was a song that a younger, dumber me (if you can believe in such a possibility) scoffed at for weeks as it stayed perched on the 106 & Park countdown. Stupid-ass crunk coonery, I thought to myself. Then one fine day, I realized that I knew and loved all the words to the song's first verse. Plus, I just couldn’t stop bouncing and bobbing to it. In retrospect, I can’t believe I ever dismissed a song that delivered imagery as evocative as “You don’t wanna be out in the streets/ Mouth full of blood and a soul full of heat.” I mean, sheeeeeeit.

The version you see/hear in the video is actually a bit different (and imho better) than the one you hear on record. Aside from the fact that certain words have been tweaked for TV viewing purposes, Scrappy also added some great inflections to his lines for the video version. Minor as they may be, the swing he adds to his 'ayys' and his 'whaaats' really does make a world of difference. Lots more to groove to this time around.

(Warning Note: The following para is so full of questionable thoughts, I’m gonna have to ask you to stay on your toes and add in your own pauses. I’m a little tired.)

Though I love the video version of the track, I do however find the video itself very distracting because of Lil Scrappy’s lips. For real, it’s like Lil Scrappy’s lips decide to take a life of its own in this video. Seriously, I dare you to try watching the video without getting distracted by his lips. I almost think that the video should be labeled as “No Problem - Lil Scrappy featuring Lil Scrappy’s Lively Lips.”

Regardless, it’s an awesome song. Scrappy’s now switched to Ludacris’ Disturbing Tha Peace label, but I hope he can make time to collaborate with Lil Jon for more gems like these.

P.S Lil Scrappy- No Problem Remix featuring Fat Joe, Cam'Ron, Bun B & T.I

P.P.S In case you’re curious: yes, this video is the main culprit responsible for instigating my excessive and annoying usage of OKKK at random situations. Don’t judge me, OKKK?

No comments: