Sunday, July 19, 2009

Single, Please Mingle: Young Chris "A Class of My Own"



I have a shitload of family in Philly. Most of them are uncles who are pretty much ..um how do I phrase this politely...savage beasts. Seriously. A lot of them have mad amounts of extremely distracting curly hair coming out of their chests and ears. To make matters worse, they're the types who use their index fingers to further curl their curly chest and ear hair when they talk to you. They're also the types to grab a random pen off your desk to dig out their earwax. And they don't even bother to clean your pen after they're done. They just brazenly leave the pen back on your desk with these huge globs of earwax stuck to it. Grossfest y'all! I can't wait to go back to Philly next summer.

Anyways, I just mention this to force an introductory segway into another savage beast from Philly - Young Chris. I only started paying attention to him in the last couple of years so I don't know if he was any good in Rocafella's heyday. The only reason I was aware of this guy was coz a bunch of my buds back in the day used to make a ton of shitty "Man, Young Chris is gonna turn into Old-Ass Senile Chris in Rocafella's waiting rooms." I also remember overhearing a bunch of nerdy rap discussions about whether Jay-Z swiped Young Chris' flow wholesale.

Eitherway, it's been real interesting to watch this guy slowly build up his own lane in the last year or so. Here he is just spitting Illadelph raps and ripping apart Asher Roth's "Lark on my Go Kart" beat. No hook, no chorus. Fabulous. I'm definitely amped about his upcoming Network mixtape.

P.S Vid was spotted at
Grand Good.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Rappers like Young Chris are perfect examples of guys that really don't thrive as major label rappers, but dropped from their labels and forced underground somehow become decent rappers. Most of his work in Young Gunz and on various Roc-A-Fella guest spots was pretty unexceptional. I think the real star here is that beat--proof is that even jackass Asher Roth sorta of sounded good over it.